Part one of this two-part story, Blueprint for Success: The Role of a Conceptual Site Plan Toy Storage Development covered the elements and benefits of creating a concept plan.
Once you have a concept plan for your RV and boat storage or self-storage project, and it’s been signed off by investors, the developer should proceed with the following steps to open and operate your site.
- Detailed Site Planning: Refine the concept plan into a detailed site plan. This includes finalizing specific design elements, layouts, and architectural details for the self-storage facility. Collaborate with architects and engineers to ensure that the plan adheres to all zoning and regulatory requirements. Create a preliminary budget and refine the plans as needed to hit your target ROI. Then take your full set of CDs (Construction Documents) to permit.
- Permitting and Approvals: Initiate the permitting process. Obtain the necessary permits and approvals from local authorities and regulatory agencies. This can be a time-consuming step, so it’s essential to start early to avoid delays.
- Secure Financing: If not already secured, secure the financing needed for the project. This may involve working closely with lenders, banks, or financial institutions to secure the necessary funding for construction and operational costs.
- Detailed Cost Estimation: Prepare a detailed cost estimate for the entire project, including construction costs, materials, labor, and any other expenses. Ensure that the project remains within the budget approved by investors.
- Construction Bidding: Solicit bids from contractors and construction firms. Evaluate these bids carefully, considering factors like cost, experience, and reputation, to select the most suitable contractor for the job.
- Construction Phase: Once a contractor is selected, commence the construction phase of the project. Monitor progress, ensure quality control, and manage the construction timeline to keep the project on track.
- Marketing and Pre-Leasing: Simultaneously, begin marketing the self-storage facility to potential customers. Pre-lease storage units to generate revenue before the facility is completed. Effective marketing and pre-leasing can contribute to a smoother transition to full operation.
- Operational Planning: Develop a comprehensive operational plan for the self-storage facility. This includes staffing, security measures, maintenance schedules, and any required software or systems for managing the facility efficiently.
- Quality Assurance and Inspections: Conduct quality assurance checks and inspections throughout the construction process to ensure that the facility meets all safety and quality standards.
- Grand Opening: Plan and execute a successful grand opening event to attract customers and generate interest in the newly constructed self-storage facility.
By following these steps, a developer can successfully transition from the concept planning stage to the construction and operation of a self-storage or RV and boat storage facility, ultimately delivering on the vision outlined in the concept plan and meeting the expectations of investors.
By working closely with MakoRabco, you can benefit from our 30+ years of experience and expertise in self storage facility design and construction. We can provide insights and recommendations based on our extensive industry experience, helping you make informed decisions and avoid common pitfalls. We take care to understand your vision, goals and specific requirements, ensuring that the site plans align with your expectations. Learn more.