By Eddie Catano
A customer of R.V. Discount Storage told EverythingLubbock.com his new camper, smoker and other outdoor equipment he had in storage were destroyed by the fire.
Leslie Leatherwood said the morning of January 11, he woke up and checked his phone and learned something devastating.
“One of the first videos that popped up on Facebook was actually the fire department’s media team had posted a video of the storage unit on fire,” Leatherwood said. “Just a gut feeling. And just in the trailer in the unit, I knew that it was ours.”
Leatherwood tells us his family had just put their Christmas decorations and his children’s toys in storage.
“Our camper was in there, which was our second home,” Leatherwood said. “It was a brand-new camper that we purchased…”
Leatherwood himself used to be a volunteer firefighter and explained why it’s different being on the other side of the call.
Leatherwood said, “Since 2009, I went through work for a Fire Academy and I’ve been a paramedic for several years as well, pursued the fire side of things for several years, never, never got on the fire department, but just in volunteering through ILU war effort and various services, once you show up on the scene, you know you have a job to do and you get in and you stay safe and you get it done.”
Leatherwood tells us he is a positive person and although his materialistic things are destroyed, he is happy no one was hurt.
Leatherwood said, “These are all personal items that can be replaced. You know, we didn’t lose family. We didn’t lose pets. No life was lost. And so as long as you can look at it in that point of view than anything can be replaced.”
Eddie Catano is a contributor to everythinglubbock.com